Accéder au contenu principal

Frequently Asked Tactical Questions

This reading covers all the questions frequently asked and related answers needed in a negotiation. The content of the text is divided in three kinds of tactics : tactics regarding price ; tactics regarding process and tactics regarding people. We can consider it as a manual for all aspiring negotiators.



I- Tactics regarding price

First question: Should I ever state my acceptable range ?
If you reveal clearly your acceptable range (for example if you say that you are willing to pay $40,000 to $45,000) then the other side is able to define reservation price. In this case, you will pay at least $45,000. The other side knows a decisive information about your strategy. This is a little bit risky but taking risks can be fruitful.
On the other hand, reveal your acceptable range can be a real benefit. Let's imagine a negotiation stagnating. The other person is at $40,000 and you are at $33,000. The other person push the deal to $38,000. Then you can avery that your range is from $30,000 to $33,000. Thereby, the other negotiator will probably accept to get less from you, as $35,000 for example, thinking that he has pushed you to the top while the reality is very different.



Second Question: Should I ever tell the other side my real bottom line ?
You can tell the otherside your real bottom line only in case we know it exactly or approximately. If you tell it in a excessive or inequitable way, you will lose credibility.



Third Question: Suppose that the other side opens with an incredibly unreasonable number. Should I counter with an equally unreasonable number or decline to counter at all ?
To answer this question, you can apply three strategies :
- Make a joke. By doing this, you will show to the other side that his offer is not enough serious for you. You can also add a sentence as : « Now, let’s get serious » at the end of your joke. It will allow you to relax the atmosphere and to reject the offer without being too aggressive
- You can declare clearly that the other side’s offer is unreasonable.
- You say that the offer is unreasonnable and that a deal is not possible. Thus you are closed to any negotiation. However, this option is to be avoided as far as possible. Indeed, the interest of a negotiation is to come to an agreement.






II- Tactics regarding process
First Question : Is it ever acceptable to bid against myself to make tho moves in a row
Second Question : Is it smart or fair to bluff ?
Third Question : In a complex deal, is it better to reach agreement issue by issue or wait until the end ?
Fourth Question : Is it better to deal with difficult or easy issues first ?
Fifth Question : What if there is an unexpected turn in the road-before or after an agreement ?



These issues are about commitment and the ways to come to an agreement. As David Churchman said « Negotiation is an integral and pragmatic tool. » The negotiations are not only technical, but is related to personal development. The most important skills you must have a good negotiator are: emotional intelligence, creativity, active listening, empathy, assertiveness, preparation and the ability to know how to manage time properly. Managing tactics related to process means managing trading strategies.



III- Tactics about people

First Question : What happens when you put a collaborative negotiator against a positional hard bargainer ?
Second Question : How should I respond if the other side seeks to change something in its offer after a deal has been reached ?
Third Question : What should I do when the negotiator on the other side has a temper tantrum ?
Fourth Question : I don’t believe what the other side is saying. What should I do ?
Fifth Question : When, if ever, is it appropriate to negotiate over the telephone or by e-mail ? Or it is essential to insist on a face-to-face meeting ?
Sixth Question : How should I react when the other side challenges my credentials status, or authority to make a deal ?



Commentaires

Posts les plus consultés de ce blog

EuroMouse Project - Negotiating Across Cultures

This negotiation opposed the Mouse company (An American Multinational Company) and the mayors of 4 towns : Bailly, Coupvray, Magny and Chessy. The Mouse company and the French government signed the Master Agreement to allow Mouse to build Euromouse : a huge amusement park in Marne-La-Vallée. But due to very bad relationships between Mouse and 4 towns involved into the project a negotiation was organized to find solutions and settle the disagreements between the two sides. In this role-play, I played the role of the government official in the Ministry of International Trade. I was very proud of the Master Agreement, this project will increase the influence of the country through the world. The press has been a problem so I am looking for good press releases. Definitely, I felt much more comfortable in this role-play than all the others. I applied more active and effective listening. Moreover, I learned to be less aggresive and more accomodating. During the negotiation I kept

Chestnut Drive Negotiation

CHESTNUT VILLAGE ROLE PLAY Chesnut Drive is a short, dead-end residential street in Bunyonville.  Many Families live in Chestnut Drive. Few weeks ago, a construction of a 77-unit condominium complex on an eight-acre plot at the end of Chestnut Drive started. The only access to the construction site is by Chestnut Drive. The problem is that there were some accidents involving kids. Moreover, employees drive fast in this street, there is a lot of noise and the street is full of dirt. The neighborhood representatives finally succeeded in obtaining a meeting with the general counsel and members of Bunyon Construction. My role during this negotation : I am the Shopkeeper of the Chesnut Village. I am a small businessperson owner of a clothing store on Off Broadway and of two-family house on Chesnut Drive. Actually, I am quite pleased with this construction project but it is not possible to tell it to my neighbors. I had to use manipulations technics to avoid them knowing it. I w

The Cinnamon Case and "Win As Much As You Can"

During this roleplay, I played the role of the buyer and Mathilde was the seller. I was pretty much more confident than in the prior negotiations. I think that there is two reasons that can explain this new feeling. The first reason is related to the behavior of Mathilde. Her nonverbal communication was very positive. I am very sensitive person, unfortunately I am often impacted by the vibes of my partners. During this negotiation, the impact was positive. I noticed that Mathilde was showing to me very positive signs and she seemed to be open to the negotiation. For sure, her BATNA was precisely defined and accepted by herself. Furthermore, she told me that she was convinced by the corporate culture of her company. The second reason of my trustbuilding was associated to my understanding of the Four Keys Concept. I had the feeling to be more determinated than Mathilde, actually. My Zone of Possible Agreement was totaly clear. However, I think that my BATNA was not rigorous enough. I